The Legacy category, which had been provisional, established at the 2019 Spring Board Meeting, has concluded its first contest season in 2019 and, while it was not widely utilized, it was decided that it should continue into the 2020 contest season with an eye toward including it in our U.S. Nationals. Everyone likes the idea of the former competitors returning to both regional contests and Nationals and competing among themselves.
- Participating pilots in this new category cannot be competing in any other category besides Intermediate when competing in the Legacy category at a contest and must declare at Registration that they are competing as a Legacy pilot.
- The first flight for Legacy pilots will be considered a Qualification flight and as such, normal rules apply.
- Intermediate sequence and flights (Known, Free, Unknown) and those sequences shall be flown and judged by current rules. Legacy pilots are encouraged to have a Free to showcase their talents and all current rules for creating an Intermediate Free shall apply.
- The floor of the Legacy category box shall be 656’ AGL.
- Due to the lower box limit than would normally be flown in Intermediate category, these Legacy flights will be flown concurrent and intermingled with the Advanced category flights or, if no Advanced category is being flown, they will compete as a stand-alone category.
- For Scoring Director purposes, scoring results will be considered as a stand-alone event. (example: your contest is named “XYZ Aerobatic Challenge”. Create that contest in Jasper. Close and save it, then create a second contest – Jasper will have “Legacy Category” as a drop down option so you can create a second “contest”. More directions will be coming for the technical aspect of this separate “contest” creation in Jasper.
- The Contest Director must request permission from the Sanctioning Committee to add the additional category to their contest. Use the “Supplemental / Waiver of Rules” area on the contest listing page to request adding the Legacy category.
- This is intended to be a fun category designed to bring back our “legacy” pilots who no longer compete in Advanced or Unlimited, having reached the top of their game. As such, awards selected by the host chapters are encouraged to be fun, light-hearted and appropriate for the elders flying in this category; such as – walkers, canes, diapers, fake service animals, or any other award deemed appropriate by the Contest Director.