This letter was sent to the board from Julia Wood and is re-posted here:
Dear IAC President, IAC Board Members, IAC Members and Fellow Aerobatic Competitors,
I’ve written earlier about this matter, but I feel it needs to be resolved. I know everyone wants to move on to flying, but this is important. I’ll try to be short and simple in hopes that we can all do so together.
- Did the IAC Board intend to reward Competitors who broke the Rules?
- Did the IAC Board intend to punish Competitors who followed the Rules?
- Did the IAC Board react to pressure from posts on social media and friends of the Competitors being penalized initially?
- How many Members expressed their desire that the penalties should be erased and that the standings should be changed?
- Is it fair to reward 1 Competitor in a category and consequently punish everyone in the standings behind them in the same category?
- What’s the purpose of giving their scores back? Didn’t they make mistakes and not follow established procedures?
- Is it necessary to enforce Rules according to the IAC Rule Book?
- Did the Jury follow the IAC Rule Book?
- Was the Jury compassionate? Does IAC Rule 31.6.1.j mention the entire contest or just the 1 flight?
- Do the IAC Bylaws, the IAC Rules or the Policy and Procedures Manual say that compassion is more important than safety?
- Did the Jury not allow scores for team qualification in accordance with the P&P Manual 503, 504 and 506?
- Is the Jury responsible for following not only the IAC Rule Book but also the Policy and Procedures Manual at a National Competition?
- Does IAC Rule 31.5.9 say that the Contest Jury’s decision is final?
- Were the Jury’s decisions based on safety and was that a consideration?
- Does the Nationals Penalty Resolution that the IAC Board approved mention anything about safety?
- Does it say in the IAC Bylaws, IAC Rulebook or the P&P Manual that the IAC Board can act as an appellate court?
- Where are the procedures by which a competitor can appeal a jury’s decision to the “appellate court” for our future reference?
- Has the IAC Board now set a precedent for any and all past contest results to be appealed and rearranged? If this is a “one off” issue, can it and will it happen again? If not, where is that stated?