2023 Judge’s Info
Key Rules Changes in 2023
- Extend Glider grading to also allow horizontal S loops to be at different altitudes
- Alter 4-minute Free for gliders to change the time limitation to an altitude limitation
- Revise medical incapacitation rules to be clear and appropriate
- Revise 34.8.1 to allow only one seat belt in Glider Advanced
- Clarify how zero lift axis varies during a roll on a 45
- Amend rules governing corner judges to make use optional
- Increase Presentation K factors (Power Intermediate changes from 15K to 20K and Power Advanced changes from 25K to 30K)
- Clarify when the upline ends and the downline begins for hammerheads
- Clarify when the upline ends and the downline begins for tailslides
- Specify the deduction for non-integrated roll in quarter-clovers
- Restore the roll-after-spin exception for Unlimited Unknowns
- Clarify penalty for “blended exit” in competition turns
- Using the base aircraft definitions to protest Unknowns; except the clarification will be omitted.
- Update safety figure rules; except for the changes described in the proposed 14.3.3
Key Rules Changes in 2022
- A single competitor may fly a category and earn a trophy
- Late contest arrivals allowed with no Jury approval but via Contest Director permission.
- Student pilots may compete with a CFI Safety Pilot
- Guidance on Grading Judge selection related to conflicts of interest.
- All categories have the same opportunity to fly a third program.
- Eliminate the requirement to have a current IAC Judge sign competitor Free programs.
- Allowable Intermediate Unknown figures to include a full snap on a horizontal line and 1/2 snap on an up 45 line.
- Remove the constraint on Unlimited Unknowns for max rotations on unlinked horizontal rolls
- New deduction for each figure that cannot be properly graded due to viewing angle or distance.
- Removed the “interior line” requirement for Advanced and Unlimited opposite roll versatility in Frees.
- More options available to a Contest Jury so they may apply a penalty consistent with the situation.
- Guidance on Jury selection to represent different chapters and regions.
- Specify a HZ for adding a figure to the end of a sequence.
- Expanded types of optional Safety Checks for Advanced and Unlimited pilots at all contests.
- Allow trophies to be given out regardless of how many competitors are in a category
- Rule Book is definitive
- No numerical scores received
- Remove presentation K from the A form and the Free Program Checklist
- Allow Back to Back printing of the B and C Forms
- Clarify Glider unlinked snap roll rules
IAC Rule Book
Judges Program – P&P 214
Achievement Awards Program – P&P 201
Aresti Aerobatic Catalog
Judge’s Checklist for Free Programs
“How did the Judge’s Miss that? 30 Videos to practice judging! Each video is 1:21. The actual videos run from :30-:55.
2023 Known Sequences